Sunday 26 December 2010

Love and traditional textiles!


I had a fantastical Christmas with my family and I hope everyone else had a lovely time too! :) Its such a special time of the year, when families get together for one day and we all get in touch with people we have lost contact with, throughout the year. We should be reminded of the love of Christmas time everyday, because family and friends shouldn't just be thought about at Christmas but everyday of the year and its nice to let them know how much they are loved and cared about. I think a lot about people who are alone at this time of the year and hope that someone thinks about them- a neighbour, a long lost relative; just to give them a bell on the phone or pop round to say hi, because a little love can make a big difference to someones life.

Christmas has lots of traditions like trees, baubles, lights, crackers, wreathes, turkey, etc... I received some lovely pressies this year and some were making traditional textiles, with techniques like cross stitch and using a knitting doll. I also got a book with all sorts of techniques like soap making, rag rugging and floristry. I personally prefer handmade than machine-made, as you may get more done in a short space of time however hand-crafted techniques, that you take your time over, are more personal and heart-warming. You get a real sense of achievement and they make wonderful gifts that will last forever. The work produced reflects you as a person and the things you value. I remember some of these crafts as a little girl, my grandma used to spend hours teaching them to me and even though I forgot them quite easily, that time was special and I will never forget. Me and a friend have decided to meet up once a week to get creative with tradition techniques and join workshops. Crafts is very sociable and for everyone, whats better than meeting up with your girls, chatting about old times and creating beautiful things! xD

No comments:

Post a Comment